Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:16:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        krooger@debian.org (Jonathan Walther)
Cc:        jesus.monroy@usa.net, seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Linux vs. NT, take 2.]

> The only damage was to Redhat.  None of the Linux bigwigs participated.
> Linus, Alan Cox, Jeremy Alison... none of them participated or endorsed the
> benchmarks.  Linux is pulling through this one pretty well.  And the fact
> that Mindcraft is still involved taints all results in the eyes of the
> journalistic community.  As well as the fact that Apache was what was
> tested, not the faster web servers.

You didn't read this part, apparently:

| For instance, the open-source community objected to Mindcraft's
| use of the Apache Web server in its benchmarks, claiming that
| using Zeus, a Web server available commercially from Zeus
| Technology, would improve results. We tested Zeus on Linux and
| found its performance peaked almost exactly where Apache's did.
|
| Working with Red Hat programmer Zach Brown, we traced the
| problem back to the lack of a multithreaded IP stack in the Linux
| networking subsystem, which caused a performance plateau in
| the operating system, not in the Web server.

> >     Look like they walked right into it.
> >     I stated to several people this would not be a good idea.

Talk to Mike Smith.  FreeBSD's numbers are worse than Linux's.

Maybe this will finally crack the "we fear change" nut open to
the point that people can start working on cranking up the
performance without fear of reprisals...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.