Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 14:08:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, bind-users@vix.com
Subject:   Re: Freebsd IP alias and BIND

> I think this is caused by the netmask of the alias being set to 0xffffffff.
> When it is set to another netmask, named behaves correctly. I'll dive further
> into it.

It turns out to be a bug in the FreeBSd kernel. FreeBSD wants ip aliases
on the same subnet to be set with an all one netmask. This makes
udp_input process the packet as if it is a broadcast packet, therefore
delivering it multiple times. The reason is that in_broadcast() thinks
the destination adres is a broadcast adres (when a packet is send to
the alias).

-Guido