Date:      Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:46:07 -0400
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ruby 1.9 as default

Hi,

We're pretty much ready to go. Most of the issues that I mentioned in my
previous mail have been fixed. Specifically:

* All Ruby 1.9 incompatible ports have been marked as such. I'll include
the list at the bottom of this email. Would it be helpful to mail
maintainers of these and let them know that the change to 1.9 as default
will happen soon and their ports will be broken with this change?

* There are still a few rubygem- ports that are duplicates of ruby-
ports which don't work with 1.9 so that could use some work, but
shouldn't hold up the switch IMHO.

* I believe the versioned gem link issue is fixed with the latest
version of my patch. It's available here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~swills/ruby19_and_gems_changes6.diff

* The rdoc issue has been solved, although we still use the rdoc bundled
with ruby as well as having an rdoc port. This may not be ideal.

* The issues with audio/amarok-kde4 and editors/koffice-kde3 were
solved. audio/amarok is marked as broken and could perhaps be fixed in a
similar manner.

* A new version of portupgrade-devel with patches that should solve the
1.9 compatibility issues has been released. I haven't had any feedback
on it. Would it be helpful to send a note to ports@ asking for more testing?

So, I guess I'd like to know if anyone has opinions on when this goes
in? Now's your chance to do some testing!

Steve

PS. Here's the list of things marked broken with 1.9:

archivers/ruby-bz2
audio/amarok
audio/ruby-musicbrainz
audio/ruby-vorbisfile