Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 19:06:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      owner-freebsd-announce
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;

	>From owner-majordomo  Mon Feb 12 17:08:04 1996
	To: freebsd-announce@freebsd.org
	Subject: wavelan (radio lan) drivers/freebsd
	Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:06:36 -0800
	From: Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>

	Announcement:

	I have ported two drivers for ATT/GIS (originally NCR) wavelan cards
	to FreeBSD from the original Mach/BSDI versions, Mach done by
	Anders Klemets (and others) and BSDI ported by Robert Morris.
	(btw: Anders gave me permission to change the copyright notice on the if_wlp.c
	driver so that the "noncommercial" part was removed.)

	The code can be obtained from

	ftp://zymurgy.cs.pdx.edu/pub/mobility/wavelan.freebsd.tar.gz

	via anonymous ftp.

	One driver is for the current PCMCIA wavelan card.  The main file for
	it is if_wlp.c (wlp0 device))  The other is for the ISA bus card based
	on the old Intel i82586 controller.  The main file for it is if_wl.c (wl0).
	The idea is that you can use the ISA card to plug into your wired
	infrastructure and talk to it via the PCMCIA wavelan card.  The wavelan
	card looks like an ethernet card and to some extent behaves like one.
	It runs at 2 mbits on paper (I've gotten around 1.4 mbit in practice).
	I have run nv over wavelan.  You configure the cards in fairly similar
	fashion to other ethernet/isa cards.  On paper, using omni-directional
	antennae (supplied) the cards can reach about 800 feet.  Metal cabinets
	and walls (especially cement walls) cut down the distance obtained.
	Still, unlike infrared (and sometimes wires) the radio can penetrate a
	number of walls.

	This should be considered alpha sw but I have tested it for a couple of
	weeks and it hasn't failed me yet.  The ISA card hangs occasionally on
	transmit but there is watchdog timer that kicks it going again (judging
	from if_ie.c, where I borrowed the watchdog timer from, not unusual for
	i82586s, but maybe I need to make the DELAY longer).  I managed to get
	promiscuous mode working on both drivers at least as far as tcpdump is
	concerned.  (I am interesting in developing some simple bridging
	software).  I haven't tested multicast yet or turned it on.  broadcast
	certainly works. arp works of course -- remember that these radio cards
	(somewhat) simulate an ethernet.  They are really CSMA/CA (collision
	avoidance) as opposed to CSMA/CD.  What I did to the pcmcia module for
	that card was a terrible hack, but I wasn't interested in trying to
	make it "plug and play" at this point.  I thought I might as well wait
	until the folks working on pcmcia released some code and then maybe
	this card could be integrated.  The pcmcia module might be eliminated
	so that this driver like if_ze.c, etc., could just use David's pcic.c
	module.

	Note: I am not associated with ATT/GIS/NCR! :->.  Below is an url for
	more wavelan info.  You can also call 1-800-WAVE for info as to where
	to buy it if you are interested.

	http://ncrinfo.attgis.com/pub/products/wavelan

	p.s. one rather cute configuration I've tried is to run one box
	on the wired infrastructure with a proxy web server (e.g., CERN httpd)
	and then simply access that box via wavelan and netscape running
	in proxy mode.  This can allow you to work around not having Internet
	routing access.

							regards,

							Jim Binkley
							jrb@cs.pdx.edu