Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:09:09 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stan Shkolnyy <stan@laurent.osgroup.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft performance (was: All this and documentation too? (was: cvs commit: src/sys/isa sio.c))

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 08:02:06PM -0500, Stan Shkolnyy wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > Sorry it's taken me a while to reply to this; ironically, most of my time
> > has been spent on freebsd-doc recently.
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 12:03:59PM -0500, Constantine Shkolny wrote:
> > > I've come to understanding that lack of documentation is probably one of
> > > the factors that keep the system healthy,
> >
> > I've just spent five minutes trying to phrase a reply to this that manages
> > to convey my complete disagreement without resorting to profanity.
>
> But why did you do that?

Basically, I wanted to make sure my disagreement got on record somewhere,
so that if anyone trawls the mailing lists at some point in the future
and sees your comments, hopefully they'll also see my reply.

I know your original comment was intended at least half in jest.  But
there'll be people who see it and take it the wrong way -- either by
assuming that FreeBSD's attitude is too elitist, or that their efforts
at documentation won't be welcome, and so on.

PS:  Also, there's the considerable thrill of using naughty words. . .
--
 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs