Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:55:25 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: U1E and U2 are supported system?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 05:57:15AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:

>  If so, I would like to move U1E and U2E to the "Fully Supported Systems"
>  section.  I do not know about E3500 and E4500, but they use a different
>  controller chip?

Yes, please move U1E and U2 (no E) to "Fully Supported".

Despite what the page had said before I think "U1E" is actually a
common name for one of two different versions of the Ultra-1 machines.
The two are significantly different, and we actually do not support
the "U1".  The normal U1 has a Lance Ethernet controller chip for
its on-board interface and has a "narrow" SCSI interface connector
coming out its back.  I don't think we have a Lance Ethernet driver
at all, and that machine's SCSI controller is different enough from
the U1E's controller that it doesn't work.  I think. :-)  The U1E
has a HME onboard ethernet controller and a wide SCSI connector
coming out the back.

You might want to wait a day or two or three before making the change
to the page to see if anyone else replies.  I actually have both of
the different Ultra-1 variants and the case of each has the names
I describe above.  But others might have input. :-)

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu