Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:19:53 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        woju@bbs.ee.ntu.edu.tw
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on 4 Pentium III(450NX) failed

> =

> Could anyone suggest some "high-end hardware" for running FreeBSD?
> My projects need *very-powerful* FreeBSDs using apache-php4-ssl +
> mysql to serve millions of users. However, we had some trouble choosing=

> the "proper machines". We wish to buy the "right machine" for running
> FreeBSD-SMP with Pentium III 600 x 8(or even 16), 8(or even 16)G Ram.
> A least, we hope to find the right machine running FreeBSD-SMP with
> Pentium III 550 x 4, 4G Ram.

Currently you're not going to get > 4GB of RAM into an i386 system.  =

Support for more than 4GB would require substantial rewrites of fairly =

significant portions of the pmap module according to reliable sources.

More than 4CPUs won't help you unless you are heavily compute-bound, =

and the description of your application doesn't suggest that you are.

> It is said that "http://www.alltheweb.com/" runs FreeBSD on "Dell compu=
ter".
> Does anyone know the the detail hardware spec. of the "Dell computer"?
> Or, does anyone know what kind of machines are used by yahoo.com?

Most large sites use clusters of systems rather than a small number of =

overpowered servers.  If I recall correctly, most of Yahoo's systems =

are P-II class workstation boards.

If you're looking to build higher-end servers, I can recommend systems
based on the Intel AD450NX and SC450NX chassis or their descendants and
replacements.  If you want to build a small cluster of high-powered
nodes, you should look closely at the AMD K7/700 and the Compaq
Alpha-based systems such as the single-processor DS20.

-- =