Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:29:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
To:        Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New installation - some points and a problem

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Eric Hodel wrote:

> You want 1:wd(1,a)kernel in order to boot.

Oh gosh, how dumb, I misunderstood the counting.

> wd0 is your 100MB dos disk, wd1 is
> your 408MB FreeBSD disk, and wd2 would be on wdc1 (which you don't have/have
> configured.)

How true!

I still get the "RTC BIOS diagnostic error 17" message on bootup, but
now it's flying (having booted from diskette and followed the above
prescription).

> In regards to the boot setup you need to install the boot manager on both wd0
> and wd1.  You'll have to visit the partition editor and set the proper slices
> bootable in order to use the boot manager.

Well, now I've logged on as root, I've executed /stand/sysinstall,
I've gone to the post-configuration option and I've started up the
Fdisk thingy and fiddled about.  It looks as if with your extra clues
I must have hit the right spot: when I boot from hard disk now, LILO
has gone, and I'm offered

F1: DOS
F5: disk 2

If I hit F5, I can boot freebsd.

Looks as if I'm flying.  Many thanks for your help.