Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:01:17 -0500
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any ideas on keeping the disk spun down on laptop

On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 02:11:12PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> One annoyance I have with FreeBSD on my laptop is that the disk will
> spin up on a frequent basis, even when the system seems completely
> idle. I suspect that this is the result of update(4).

This is usually the result of cron and/or syslogd.  Cron runs "atrun" every
couple of minutes and syslog logs the event to disk.  If you don't care for
cron or logging, you can kill off those daemons.  Alternatively, configure
syslog to log only to a tty (which is what I do).  I was able to get my
laptop's disk to completely spin down for quite a while doing this.  (yes,
I run softupdates too)

> The man page claims that I can extend the period between updates with
> sysctl kern.update. But, when I try a "sysctl kern.update", I get a
> response of:
> sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.update'

kern.update doesn't exist when you run softupdates.