Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:17:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sami Hamrita <sami@bae.uga.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking question.

On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 at 09:36:49AM -0400, Sami Hamrita wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on on a Pentium P133 PC and have two
> questions regarding the mouse and a networking issue.
>
> 1.First the mouse. I have a Microsoft Defender mouse (PS/2) for which I
> already enabled the approriate driver in the kernel but the mouse is still
> inactive. Is there here any further configuration that I have to do
> somewhere on my system to enable the mouse or do I have to change the
> driver for the mouse (I only found one driver for PS/2 mouse)?

You'll need a three button mouse.  You also need to configure it in
your X setup.

> 2.Now the networking question.
> My PC is connected to a Ethernet network and I have a 3Com 3c900
> Etherlink XL PCI card installed on my computer.
>
> I choose the following parameters for the network in the kernel:
>
> device de0
> device fxp0
> device vx0
> options INET
> pseudo_device ppp	1
> pseudo_device ether
> pseudo_device loop
>
> After booting I get the following output :
> vx0 <3COM 3c900 Etherlink XL PCI> rev0 int a irq 9 on pci0:10
>
> but I still can't connect to other hosts on the network and vis versa.
> Since I don't see the name of my network card on the FreeBSD list,

What do you mean by that statement?  You say you have a 3C900, you've
configured a 3C900, it found a 3C900.

> is it possible that I'm using the wrong one or is it only a question
> of driver choice

Sorry, I really don't see what you're getting at here.  You obviously
have the right driver.

> or is there much more work to do besides what I did?

Well, it would probably like to know an IP address.  How about:

# ifconfig vx0 <my-ip-address>

Greg