Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:50:02 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Tilman Linneweh <arved@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: top: Arithmetic exception

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 05:37:02PM +0100, Tilman Linneweh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While watching some processes on pluto2 top dumped core.
> Dunno, if this is a known problem:

I know about it. I haven't tried to analyze it. If you notice that
top dumps core with a FP exception, wait a while (couple of minutes)
and it should be gone again.

As for trying to get a backtrace: I noticed that when there's no
debug information available or when no debug information had to
be created by the compiler, the debugger gets confused. This is
due to the kludgy way the debugger scans function prologues to
get return addresses and previous stack pointers and the like (at
least that's what I think is going wrong). I'm working on that...