Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:15:12 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Joe Nosay <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Merge of projects/pseries branch

On 09/18/13 17:13, Joe Nosay wrote:
> What's the status of virtualization on Power(64) for FreeBSD?
> Did you test this out on your PS3?
> No hardware yet, but am hoping soon.

This stuff is designed to work on unvirtualized or paravirtualized POWER
systems using the standard IBM hypervisor. Note that this is a different
hypervisor than the one running on the PS3, although the same PV
infrastructure is useful for both. In principle, the support matrix
looks like this -- though bear in mind that this is theoretical and not
actually tested in almost all cases:

CPU                    Bare Metal                LPAR (Under hypervisor)
<= POWER3    Yes (ppc32 only)                No
POWER4            Yes                            ppc64 only
970                    Yes                            ppc64 only
POWER5-6         No*                           ppc64 only
POWER7-8         No                             ppc64 only

* POWER5 and 6 systems run *only* under the hypervisor, no matter the
operating system

QEMU's "pseries" target emulates a POWER7 LPAR. On POWER7 and up, as
well as on non-Apple 970 and POWER4 systems, it is possible to run KVM
on Linux that should just work with 10.0-ALPHA2 at native hardware speed.
-Nathan