Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 10:23:35 +0930
From:      Garth Kidd <garth@dogbert.systems.sa.gov.au>
To:        Brett Glass <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hdalog@zipnet.net, davidg@Root.COM, hardware@FreeBSD.org, bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

Brett Glass <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com> wrote:

> The kernel hack I did (turning off the power-saving mode) is appropriate
> for desktop machines; in fact, for them, it's a good idea. But it's NOT
> appropriate for laptops and other low-power applications. The kernel
> needs to be fixed so that the drive *can* spin down without locking up
> the entire machine.

That might be fine for normal filesystem access, Brett, but consider your
poor swap partition.  If a page fault occurs, the kernel's just going to
have to sit around and wait for the drive to spin up, ne?  Unless you want
to re-write the scheduler so that processes can only get CPU when all of
their pages are in memory at the time, you're going to have to either put
up with 30-second hangs or run with no swap.

--
garth@dogbert.systems.sa.gov.au    | Garth Kidd
 +61-8-207-7740 (voice)            | Professional Services Division