Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:51:25 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@privatelabs.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slow tape behind fast drives on the chain

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 10:46:59 -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Yesterday, we added the tape drive:
>
> 	pass2: <ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX 735B> Removable Seq
> 	pass2: Serial Number GS0D9S5
> 	pass2: 3.300MB/s transfers
>
> and the drives started to give all sorts of problems. This sounds like a
> bad cable/terminator, but I wonder  if the combination is even suppoused
> to work -- the tape has the Tectronix connectors on the back, the drives
> have the 68pin. The short 68pin cables  connect one of the drives to the
> adapter and to the second drive  which used to have an active terminator
> on it's second  68pin jack. Now, there is a  68-50 cable there extending
> the chain to the tape, which has an active terminator.
>
> Would  access  to the  drives  be  slower  because  of the  tape's  mere
> presense?  Will  it  slow  (noticable)  when the  tape  is  in  use?  It
> everything should work fine (it does not)  -- what do I replace first --
> the 68-50  cable connecting the tape  to the second drive  or the active
> terminator on the tape?

Well, one thing you'll want to check is whether your 68-50 pin cable is
terminating the high byte of the SCSI bus, since that isn't passed through
to the tape drive.

Another thing that could cause problems is if the tape drive isn't
disconnecting from the SCSI bus.

Other than that, we might need to see some error messages to take a
guess at what is going on.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry