Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:06:16 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        "Tom W." <twilson1@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tw@nabi.net
Subject:   Re: Cable modem ->FreeBSD

"Tom W." wrote:

> First I would like to ask if this is an e-group where all mails are
> sent
> to all subscribers or only the development group.  If it is the former
> how do I subscribe?

Send a message to majordomo@freebsd.org with just "help" in the text
(you should then receive instructions on how to subscribe to questions)

> I am a novice with this and just installed FreeBSD 3.1 via
> WalnutCreek CD on my new 9.1gig UWscsi (my first scsi and may it never
> see an MS OS amen).

Yeepee !

> The install went  smoothly during which I entered my network
> interface info (intel pro 100 B fxp0) such as default gateway, IP
> address, domain name ect... that I got from winipcfg in windows (on my
> other HD) .

[SNIP]

If your ISP expects you to use DHCP to get your IP address, you should
follow yur ISP.

You will get your IP address via DHCP by using a DHCP client, which
negociates with the DHCP server located at your ISP's and then sets the
IP address of your Ethernet board.

Two DHCP clients can be used with FreeBSD (both are in the "packages") :
wide-DHCP and isc-dhcp.
wide-DHCP is a bit easier to configure, but isc-dhcp has been chosen to
be the standard DHCP client of FreeBSD.
Both clients have manual pages, which will help you configuring your
machine.

Basically, you get any IP address setting out of /etc/rc.conf, and you
run your dhcp client (/sbin/dhclient - IIRC, for isc DHCP), from
/etc/rc.local.

	After some fiddling with the switches, you will find that it just runs.
	(I had some troubles with the default route settings when my ISP
changed
        my IP address)

	TfH