Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:32:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: CFT for cairo 1.12 and 8.x survey

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Randy Pratt wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 15:04:46 +0100
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07.01.2014 01:38, Randy Pratt wrote:
>>> I'm using 8.4-STABLE on a box which has the on-board intel graphics
>>> and uses the xorg-7.7 / xf86-video-intel-2.7.1_6 driver.  It seems to
>>> work reasonably for a fluxbox desktop although I do see occasional
>>> artifacts.  I never expect much from on-board video.
>>
>> Thanks for the test!
>>
>> Could you please post a screenshot of the artifacts you get?
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Sébastien Pédron
>>

> The only artifact which is constant is a slight smearing to the right
> which can be faintly seen at http://anonpic.be/i/Mk7sP.png .

I don't see any problems on that.  But it's not clear to me exactly what
type of thing to look for.

Firefox with the later radeon drivers occasionally bolds and blurs a
line of text that has already been rendered (maybe just re-rendering it
with an off-by-one error).  These are always unrelated to the current
line of text being edited.  That seemed to be something to do with the
driver, and still happened with the KMS version.

...Until last night, when I installed the new cairo.  Have not seen it
again so far.

> The other artifacts are intermittent and when using firefox-26.0,1.
> They are difficult to reproduce and capture.
>
> The first one of these is a random blackout of a few lines of text
> but any action that causes xorg to redraw/refresh corrects them.  The
> other odd thing is that sometimes when returning to a previous page
> using the browser back button is that text will appear to be bolder.
> This too will correct itself during a refreshing of the display.

That's the same thing I've seen, but only on Radeon cards.