Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 20:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archive Anaconda on 1540B -- waiting forever for tape to become ready

Peter da Silva wrote:

> Later on I tried to write a tape (brand new Maxell 9135) and got this:
>
> Apr 20 19:14:29 bonkers /kernel: st0(aha0:5:0): NOT READY asc:4,1
> Apr 20 19:14:29 bonkers /kernel: st0(aha0:5:0):  Logical unit is in process of becoming ready

	is this a brand new blank tape?  never before used?
	if so you have to "force" the tape.  try "mt -f /dev/rst0 fsf 1"
	for me that results in
		"st0(ncr1:4:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info:1 asc:80,8a"
	but afterward mt operations work!
	evidently doing an mt operation must write some data out to teh
	tape that the drive(r) needs.  after that eject the tape then
	reload it.  should be recognized at that point.
	you can check with "mt -f /dev/rst0 status"

	make sure that the tape spins when it si first inserted into the drive.
	if it does not spin, use the front panel button to eject
	the tape then reinsert it.  that gets it to spin for me.
	i dont know why this is, or what is actually going on, but it works.

	i have a typescript of the session available if anyone is interested.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/