Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:15:20 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Taming Netscape Navigator?

> Opera was fast last I used it, but the old versions I used crashed
> multiple times a day. Netscape is usable for me; usually it only crashes

I use opera for browsing and netscape for reading news.
Opera hangs once a day (I am running tp2) but I still prefer
it since it keeps all my open windows open on restart and is
much faster and has no annoying freezes.  Netscape just for
reading news is fine and usually stays up for weeks.
Netscape because I have multiple newsgroup windows open at
the same time.

> But what about "controlling" netscape?
>
> How or why does it make my X and/or window manager unusable?
>
> Has anyone ran netscape as a different user and set different
> limits/priorities for it?

I suspect (but have no proof) that netscape uses some sort of
stop-and-copy garbage collector and during the GC phase it is
blind to any mouse/keyboard actions.