Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:03:01 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Nikos Ntarmos <ntarmos@cs.uoi.gr>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_8 ignoring TCP window size? [Was: Re: Help for TCP understanding wanted, ACK-MSS-Window [Was: Re: best practice to watch TCP parms of established sockets]]

--------------enigC85738FB85F4303CBCFC03A6

Nikos Ntarmos schrieb am 24.02.2010 16:37 (localtime):
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:55:39AM +0200, Nikos Ntarmos wrote:
>>> Thanks a lot, then I understood it at least half correct ;) My
>>> missunderstanding was that I thought the receiver would reduce
>>> ACKs... Now I know more :)
>>> But unfortunately that makes it more mysterious where the throughput
>>> problem lies...
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone so far,
>> Hi there.
>>
>> This is a long shot but have you tried disabling checksum and
>> segmentation offloading? I've found that they cause trouble with some
>> NICs. FYI on FreeBSD the first is done through 'ifconfig -rxcsum' whil=
>> the latter through 'sysctl net.inet.tcp.tso=3D0'. If you try this out,=

>> remember to disable these features on both communicating boxes for the=

>> period of the test, just to be sure that it's not the other box causin=
>> these issues. You mentioned samba so if one of them is a win32 box, yo=
>> can access these settings through the hardware options of your NIC.
>=20
> Hi again.
>=20
> Just a friendly nudge. :) Did you find the root of these issues yet?

I don't have solid conclusions. But I ruled out some things.
First, the em driver has no problems in my setup. Neither disabling=20
rx/txcsum nor disabling TSO made any differenz in trhoughput, though no=20
direct recognizable load behaviour on my 2x3GHz machine. Mybe checsum=20
offload is beneficial on slower machines.
One major problem was that one of the two FreeBSD Boxes was on a VMware=20
which slowed things down a bit, although the FreeBSD System showed=20
plenty free resources.

Disabling rfc1323 defnetily increases the throughput on gigabit=20
ethernet. I can rsync between two (native) FreeBSD machines with 72-92=20
MB/s averaging at 80+MB/s.
What I couldn't investigeate yet is why I always get 10% more throughput =

when one side is windwos, no matter which direction, no matter what=20
application (cifs, rsync, ftp).
Another big point on my todo list is to find out why tcp.inflight brakes =

my webserver downloads really often to less than a quarter of the=20
available bandwith (client bw, server bw is 100mb). I saw many 10mb/s E3 =

pipes with 15ms delay, but limited transfer rates to 200kb/s. Disabling=20
tcp.inflight opens that brake.

Since I could only capture "bad IP length" packets with checsum=20
offloading enabled on the em, I guess it does also IP checksum=20
offloading, not only TCP. I'll have to set up a port mirroring test bed=20
to get the line packets. I hope I'll find the rfc1323 slowdown and the=20
difference between FreeBSD clients and Windows clients. But at the=20
moment I don't have spare equipment.

Greets,

-Harry