Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:10:04 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: restructuring Porter's Handbook

FWIW, some of this I've already brainstormed with Pav off-list, so
don't be too surprised that I like most of these ideas -- I had always
felt the PH really needed some attention like this.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:59:26PM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Here's the list of proposed changes:
>
> - replace 13.5 with a Advanced pkg-plist methods section
> - move existing 13.5 Changing plist based on make variables under new
>   13.5 section
> - move 17.11 Cleaning up empty directories under new 13.5 section
> - move 17.16 Configuration files under new 13.5 section
> - move 19 Automated package list creation under new 13.5 section

I'm in favor of all of these.

> Maybe dedicate a whole top level category to pkg-plist? Say, after
> Special considerations?

I'm neutral on this.

> - move 10 Ports that require Motif under 6 Special considerations
> - move 7 MASTERDIR under 5 Configuring the Makefile

I'm in favor of these.

> - move 11 X11 fonts under 6, or even combine with 6.4 Using X11

I'd say the latter.

> - combine 8 Shared libraries with 6.1 Shared Libraries ?
> - drop 17.23 completely

I'm in favor of these too.

I have some other ideas about regrouping but IMHO we should do these
first on the theory that it will be much better than what we have.

mcl