Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:38:51 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make(1) enhancement - an 'environment processor' option

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:31:10PM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 10:23:42PM +0000, Thomas Hurst wrote:
> > * Peter Pentchev (roam@ringlet.net) wrote:
> >
> > > No feedback on this proposed change to make(1)? :)
> >
> > Personally I think this is something that should be handled by ports
> > rather than make; can it's functionality not be added to bsd.port.mk or
> > so?
>
> As I wrote in my reply to Mark Valentine's mail, I personally do not
> think it can be easily added to bsd.port.mk without some *really* ugly
> and error-prone code and *lots* of invocations of other programs.
>
> Everybody, feel free to prove me wrong :)

Oh, and of course, the make(1) environment could well be tweaked outside
of the ports tree, too; for my personal use, this avoids some hassling
with different DOC_LANG, DOCDIR, WEB_LANG and WEBDIR settings for
my own playpen.  Yes, I know I can set a variable by myself, I know
I can specify it on the make(1) command line; why should I need to? :)
Now I can set or unset environment variables for various parts of
the source tree without mucking with Makefiles; in short, I personally
like it.

G'luck,
Peter

--
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.