Date:      25 Mar 2002 10:32:37 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        n3481@wi.rr.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bootloader Mess-up

Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com> writes:

> I've installed FreeBSD over my current Win2K installation on the same
> hard drive,
> and I installed the Standard MBR in the setup, but this doesn't show my
> Win2K os.
> What can I do about this? And, if so, can I install the BSD Boodloader
> after the
> system installation?

It's not clear why you'd expect the Standard MBR to "show my Win2K os"
for two reasons: 1) You say you installed FreeBSD over it, which means
to me that Win2K is gone.  2) The Standard MBR doesn't show OSes; it
just tries to boot the primary partition that is marked "active" in the
MBR's partition table.  I'm gussing that if you had the FreeBSD
installer install a standard MBR, it also marked the FreeBSD primary
partition (AKA slice) as the active one.  If you, in fact, have two
OSes on separate primary partitions, then you should be able to mark
the partition which you want to boot using "fdisk" from a M$DOS system
boot floppy or maybe from FreeBSD's "fixit" floppy after booting through
the other two FreeBSD floppies, "kern.flp" and "mfsroot.flp".

You can also boot up your FreeBSD OS via these floppies, but I'll refer
you to the FreeBSD Handbook for that.  Once you get FreeBSD running,
you can run "boot0cfg" to install the FreeBSD bootloader if you want;
it DOES give a list partitions/OSes to try to boot.  Actually, you can
probably install the bootloader from the installer program by booting
up the two install floppies like you're doing and install, and then
using the "custom" menu option, but I've never tried it, so...

Good luck.

P.S.  Your mail software seems to be wrapping your lines at something
like column 73, so your mail would be easier to read if you'd not
write lines a few characters longer than that.