Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:40:27 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD 5.3 and 5.4

Brian Astill wrote:
> I guess there is some small incompatibility between my system and FBSD.
> Whatever .. the effect was that as I kept CVSupdating from FBSD 4.7
> through 4.10 I gradually lost usability as first one program then
> another, failed.
> I decided to wait for 5.3 before using FBSD again.
>
> In the meantime I have been running Knoppix 3.4 with complete
> success,though it will have its own HUGE upgrade problems in due
> course.
> I MUCH prefer FBSD and its way of doing things, anyway.
>
> So ... I've waited for FBSD 5.3, have purchased the Release 4-disk set
> and have 50G diskspace available.
>
> Maybe it would be better to split that 50G in half, install 5.3 in the
> first 25G, leaving the second free for 5.4 release.  Later I would
> install 5.5 release in that first partition, then 5.6 release in the
> second, and so on.
>
> Question 1.  Is this plan sensible and/or practical?
> Question 2. If the answer to (1.) is "No", what alternative would you
> suggest?
>
> Thanks for your (anticipated) helpful advice.

There is a fine line betwixt insanity and well..
KIS - Keep it simple - install 5.3, CVSup when 5.4 is out, and so on.
Save yourself the "insanity" of leapfrog installing.

Master CVSup - and you will not only save much time and beer drinking -
well, maybe save you time, but you'll end up being an efficient user of
FBSD.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Real programmers don't eat quiche.  In fact, real
programmers don't know how to spell quiche.  They eat
twinkies and szechuan food.