Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 07:56:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        murduth@ludd.luth.se (Joakim Henriksson)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AOpen AW35 (CS4237)

> > the best option would be to support the PAS on my driver. Does it
> > by chance emulate the SB or something, or can you help in writing
> > support for it ?
>
> The PAS is one of the funnier cards since it does do SB emulation, but
> uses an actual Creatice chip to achieve it. This gives the PAS two sound
> channels out (PAS 16bit stereo, sb 8bit mono). I would think that the sb
> part could be accessed by your drivers. But then i lose the PAS part and
> can _still_ only play two sounds at a time :) As to me writing a driver...

What is the point of using multiple cards to play sounds together,
rather than mixing them in software and playing the resulting stream on
one _good_ sound card ?

> Don't have the slightest idea how to. I would guess there are some
> defferencies between your driver and the voxware one, how hard would it be
> to port the voxware one, any guidelines etc?

I have to say that the ossfreee 3.8 code (the linux version, which is
available in source format) is much more readable than previous ones
(or perhaps I have more experience...) so you could start from the
documentation in the doc/ directory in my driver, and then try to look
at the ossfree code for the PAS.

But I don't think I will ever support the PAS in such a way that
two independent, simultaneous channels are available. Does Voxware
support this ?

	Cheers
	Luigi