Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:58:23 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>
To:        MCI Worldcom <David.Nobles@wcom.com>
Cc:        questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: UNIX Security Issue - URGENT

Sounds to me like somebody did not have enough work to do. :-)  I will
have to admit that I had to chuckle when I read it.  I may be to lax
with preventative measures, but if it is this bad then I will not have a
job on January 1st anyway. :-)

Darren Wiebe
dkwiebe@hagenhomes.com

MCI Worldcom wrote:

> This is being disseminated to all the developers at our office.  I've
> removed any names but the gist of the issues and 'security problems' are
> still there.   Anyone on the list heard about anything like this?
>
> Have you ever heard of Linux?  Apparently it's set to explode, so to speak,

I don't have a hard time seeing linux exploding.  But I don't think that
it would happen quite this way... :-)

> on December 31, 1999.  It's runs on virtually all Unix platforms.  I believe
> the forwarded information applies to the UK.

Than I'm safe in Canada!! HURRAH!

> I have attached several e-mails relating to this issue, but in summary:- xx
> have identified a serious and potentially dangerous rogue program that is
> believed to exist in all 'flavors' of UNIX.  This is being dealt with
> By our support teams in MIS, however, there are developers that are using
> unauthorized versions of the Linux system, and it is these that present an
> issue.
> Linux is an unsupported platform and should not be used (it is against
> current agreed policy), however it has come to our attention that developers
> (number and location unknown) are using Linux in an unofficial capacity for
> development purposes.
> The trigger date for the rogue program is Dec 31 1999.
> I have discussed this issue with Kevin, and he agrees that the use of Linux
> must be stopped.

I second the motion.  It should definitely be replaced with something
stable like FreeBSD. :-)

> As I require a champion at a senior level that can influence all development
> areas in the international business, may I suggest that you send an e-mail
> to all development staff, or an appropriate distribution list, for
> dissemination to their staff advising them that all Linux is to be removed
> from company equipment prior to 30 Dec 1999.
> Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries regarding this or any
> other systems security issue.
>
> <<Linux Update - Threat Received Medium/HIGH Risk>>  <<RE: Linux -
> Security
> Issue>>  <<RE: Linux - Security Issue>>  <<Linux - Security Issue>>
>
> Gents,
> Further to my e-mail yesterday about Linux, which we are all agreed on, xxx
> have today received a warning advisory originated by the FBI which they have
> stated "causes significant concern".
> In short, the advisory warns of a dormant rogue program embedded in Linux
> (and some mainstream UNIX languages) that once activated begins a strong
> denial of service attack by 'swamping' its host network with IP traffic,
> each compatible box it reaches also initiates the same attack and so on.
> Being a switched network makes us particularly vulnerable to this type of
> denial of service, and once infected preventing spread would mean attempting
> to isolate entire network sections i.e. OPCO or country.
> Xxxxx has been advised and will begin sweeping our supported UNIX
> systems for the files we have identified as potential carriers of this
> attack.
> Activation date for the attack is of course 31 Dec 1999.
> xxx rate this threat as Medium to HIGH.
> Our challenge is to ensure all development boxes (including those 'less
> official') are also checked and have Linux removed.  Who would be best
> placed to send a mail to all international (and OPCO) developers to advise
> them to remove Linux and check their boxes for the offending files?  I will
> of course keep you advised of any further developments.

Ha, Ha.. Teach you to run Linux.. :-)

> I support your position, there isn't any good business reason for us to be
> running a shareware operating system within our environment.
> > Operations view the use of > Linux on the network as potentially dangerous
> and a clear threat to the > security of the network.
> >
> > The following issues are highlighted:-
> >
> > * Integrity of user ID's, user passwords and their security.
> > * Security of data - who will maintain data integrity.
> > * Scheduling of data backup - who will maintain a regular cycle of
> > archiving.
> > * Network integrity - who would have control of insuring that the
> > activities of the machine did not affect the network.
> > * IP integrity and maintenance - DHCP maintenance.
> > * Root privileges - allowing unsupported software utilities to be run,
> > such as network monitoring tools, sniffers etc.
> > * Root privileges - allowing the owner of a machine to configure it to
> > appear to be another on the network, this would make tracing any
> malicious
> > or unauthorized actions very difficult.
> > * Maintenance of the machines both hardware and software - in
> > particular the testing and installation of software patches which are
> > relevant to the version of operating system and applications being
> used.

Darren Wiebe
dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca