Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 16:29:49 -0600
From:      Jeff_Davey@idea.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1.5 installation question

Hello!  I'm hoping someone there might be able to figure out the problem
I'm having.

I've been trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5 from a Walnut Creek CDROM onto a
machine at my work.  I got through paritioning the drive and installing the
software; now I need to set up the networking.

In the /start/sysinstall script, there is a menu option to set up network
interfaces.  No matter what I do, however, whenever I select this, nothing
happens, and the user is navigated back to the previous menu.  The
accompanying manual shows that selection of interface types and then
network information like host name, domain name, IP address, etc. should
come here, but that isn't happening.

I did notice that when the system booted, I was getting nothing sensed at
ed0 and ed1, so I booted using the -c command.  Using the accompanying
driver viewer, there were some conflicts with the hardware, so I did some
shuffling around.  For the network entry, I deleted everything but one
sub-entry (I have an SMC card), and saved.  Nothing shows conflicts now.

Now when I boot up, I get information for ed0, showing it at 0x280 IRQ, I/O
Port 3, etc., so it seems to be sensed okay.  If I run the 'ifconfig -a'
command, then ed0 is one of the entries that get printed.

However, I *still* can't get the /start/sysinstall to allow me to configure
the network interface and other associated data!

Is this a problem in 2.1.5?  Is there another command outside of sysinstall
I can use?

I've basically run out of options at this point; if you can think of
anything else I might try (even if it's recommending me going up to most
current rev, if you think that would solve the problem), I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Davey