Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:36:01 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD_cc_...

> John, why you choose to have such complex bitfielding-like thing
> in one variable? It is too difficult to compare with it.  Imagine
> that next time GNU will issue release something like 2.7.2.1.12345,
> what happens with your cdefs.h checking then?  Better way just put
> FreeBSD extensions version in separate variable without tracking GNU
> version at all. GNU compiler presence can be checked with __GNUC__
> predefined variable separately.

I wanted the variable to be self-contained, and interpretable without
the context of __GNUC__ and __GNUC_MINOR__.  That simplifies the #ifs,
because it allows the use of just one comparison instead of several.
If you look at <sys/cdefs.h> you'll see what a mess results from
needing to check several variables.

We already do a similar thing with <osreldate.h> and __FreeBSD_version.

I think it's pretty unlikely that GNU will release a version with a
5-component revision number.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken