Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:29:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, pwnedomina@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: text format

"i pwn" <pwnedomina@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi, sometime ago i asked a question about how to format a text, some
> people told me to use groff, but i would like to know how was file http://ipwn.altervista.org/files/Stoll,%20Clifford%20-%20The%20Cuckoo%27s%20Egg.txt
>   fomatted.
> thanks in advance.

>From the output alone, one -cannot- tell for certain.  That document could
have been produced by any number of programs -- including, but not limited
to 'electric pencil', 'pc-write', 'volkswriter', 'xywrite', 'wordstar',
'wordperfect', 'excel', and any form of 'runoff' or its descendants (including
but limited to: 'rnf','troff', 'ditroff', 'nroff', 'groff' and others) or
even a 'TeX' variant, such as 'LaTeX'.

'Considering the source', ditroff (or a varient) is likely.  Probably using
the 'me' macro set.  There are output quirks that make it unlikely that the
'ms' macroes were used.)