Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 13:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mostyn/Annabella <mrl@teleport.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        revr@cadre.nl, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, bde@zeta.org.au, michaelv@HeadCandy.com
Subject:   Re: HELP: serial port grief on Asus P55TP4N

Hi,
Here's a different slant on ASUS serial ports - I had a couple
of Asus P/I-P55TP4XEG boards one of which I was using to build
a company internet server. I found to my horror the serial
ports did nothing - mouse extinct. However, they were probed
O.K. The serial cables that came with them were replaced - no joy.
A second set of cables and they were O.K.! The other cables worked
fine on another motherboard? Pin sizes? The black molded plastic
end gives no clue about connectivity.

The second Asus P/I-P55TP4XEG board I had showed the same effect.

I've also seen a serial port disappear (no probe) when a clashing
IRQ existed.

Mostyn

P.S. Thses used SMC chips.