Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:27:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Lawrence Mayer dsg <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>
To:        www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   site down? releng4.freebsd.org

Hi!

I've been trying to log into ftp://releng4.freebsd.org for the past
several days, from several different computers and networks,  without any
luck.

1. Has the site been down?

IF SO:

2. When do you expect it back up?

3. Are there any mirror sites that have recent snapshots of FreeBSD STABLE
for i386? (There are no such mirrors listed at
www.freebsdmirrors.org/FBSDsites.php3?showi386snaps=3Ddo.)

4. If it will take additional time to get releng4.freebsd.org back up, it
might help to post a news flash to that effect (along with links to any
mirrors) at http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html.

5. If there are no mirrors, would it be possible to recruit one? The
situation is particularly accute right now, since

"......A bug has been fixed in soft updates that can cause occasional
filesystem corruption if the system is shut down immediately after
performing heavy filesystem activities, such as installing a new kernel or
other software. The system shutdown was unable to flush all buffers on
shutdown and would report this fact. The problem can be worked around by
running sync(8) a few times before rebooting, or solved by updating to a
recent FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE snapshot........"
(2002/03/19 posted to www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/errata.html)

In my reading, the above quote recommends that 4.5 RELEASE users upgrade
to STABLE instead of waiting for the next RELEASE to come out.  It would
be most unfortunate if releng4.freebsd.org is down, and there are no
mirrors, just now when we need it the most!

A mirror site would also be an investment not only in the present but in
the future. It may happen again that a serious bug is found in a FreeBSD
RELEASE. If so, it would be a clear advantage if there is more than one
site in the world hosting recent shopshots of FreeBSD STABLE.

I would greatly appreciate a reply ASAP. I am anxious to install FreeBSD.
But, in view of the above quote, I'm waiting to get my hands on FreeBSD
STABLE.

Warm Greetings,
Lawrence Mayer
Ume=E5, Sweden