Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 02:47:16 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

Terry writes:

> Name one of these people without an emotional
> investment in their choice of operating system,
> who would not want to save $100 off the price
> of a new computer.

Almost everyone I know with a computer is in this category.

> "Whatever cheaper".  Operating systems are a
> commodity, like telephone long distance service
> or cell phone provider, or the company you buy
> your computer from: whoever is cheaper.

Unfortunately, this is not true.  Operating systems determine the
personality of a computer and the choice of applications that will run upon
it.  Unless one has specific applications in mind and one knows that they
will or must run on a specific OS, the best choice of OS is the one that
will run the widest variety of applications, thus minimizing the likelihood
that one will be obliged to change operating systems in order to install new
applications in the future.

For the desktop, the OS that best meets this criterion is Windows.  For
servers, UNIX is the best choice.

> I expect that it's Microsoft, through a
> cutout company.

You expect?  You don't know?

> Your presence on this list is like clockwork:
> during the time that college would be in session,
> you are here, and during college break, you are not.

Coincidence.

> I rather expect I could identify your location
> by performing a traffic analysis, and comparing
> it with University schedules.

Why not just look at the IP address?  You may be surprised.  Or easier
still, why not just ask?

> So why *are* you here, if you aren't being
> paid to be here, as you claim?

Because I'm interested in the FreeBSD operating system, and I think it is a
good choice for servers.

> Why do you persist in advocating Windows in
> a forum which is not intended for that purpose?

I don't.  But I do keep things in perspective.  FreeBSD is not ideal for
every purpose, and it is especially not ideal for the desktop.  So when
over-zealous advocates of FreeBSD try to claim otherwise, I offer an
alternative viewpoint, for the sake of lurkers.

> What is your payback for the effort you are
> expending, if it is not in $?

I know that it helps people make reasoned decisions on which operating
system to use.  It helps cut through the noise created by the fanatics who
seem to predominate in cyberspace.