Date:      19 Jun 1998 14:02:23 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Signals in POSIX threads

This is not strictly FreeBSD-related, but I thought I'd ask here since
many of you are probably working with pthreads at some level.

Is there any way to force all (or specific) signals sent to a process
to be sent to a particular thread? The behaviour I'm seeing now¹ is
that the signal is going to a seemingly random thread². Wether the
signal handler is being installed before or after the threads are
started doesn't seem to make a difference.

I asked a colleague at Geco about it, and his answer was "Whatever you
want to do, find a way to do it that doesn't involve signals." Not
very helpful :)

--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com

¹ My development box is a dual-CPU Sun Ultra Enterprise 450 running
  Solaris 2.6, or SunOS 5.6 as they insist on calling it.
² Well, actually it seems to always go to the first child thread, but
  that might be because it's the most active (the second child thread
  is, for the time being, a dummy that just sleeps for five seconds
  before exiting, while the main thread does nothing but wait for its
  children to terminate)