Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2007 01:56:13 -0400
From:      "Spiros Papadopoulos" <spap13@googlemail.com>
To:        RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>, "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>,  "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   Fwd: Squid and IPFW

Sorry, forgot to add the list...

Hi again,

On 01/06/07, RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:

> Are you really sure you want to do that way?

I am sure about me wanting to use FreeBSD and i am sure about me
liking IPFW. *I am not sure* if it is the best
way of doing this, but i believe
that if you know how to setup the system and IPFW appropriately, then
it can be a very good firewall solution.
I am also sure that if you setup sth like this from scratch and you are not
an expert, it would need time before it becomes strong enough.

I am not an expert and unfortunately my time is being shared between
multiple things at the moment, even though I would like to concentrate
only on this...

Squid wont be able to
> control access to https or ftp. And what about http on non-standard
> ports, e.g. http://easynews.com:81

These are consequent questions. What would you recommend on this?
As i mentioned I sent this post quite in advance. Before i start setting up.

> without setting this on each workstation?
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers

has some options

It is not for a home network. I wouldn't want to have to set each
workstation' s browser settings.
Especially since there is another way of doing this.

On 02/06/07, Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca> wrote:

> > The people that are smart enough to get around this kind of a block
> > in an organization are generally not the problem.  It is the morons that
> > have no concept of appropriate use of the Internet in the workplace
> > who are the problems, and they will be effectively stopped.

:o)

I agree with Ted here. It's the innapropriate web surfers who are the
> main problem, however, traffic filters will catch people using odd
> ports, and firewall rules are there to fix this.

I know from experience and is a fact, that traffic/packet filters can be
used effectively
 to strengthen the firewall rules.

> I use much the same setup for my 8 year old son.  He only gets Internet
> > access to websites that we have approved and added to the squid list.
>
> May I make a recommendation for DansGuardian for home users. I have used
> it for a few years now, and instead of maintaining just a single list of
> allowed sites, it does a fantastic job of filtering the actual content,
> images, url's and a bunch of other things.
>
> Of course physical observance is the best approach, but the
> Squid/Dansguardian approach works exceptionally well when you have to
> walk away. (I have 4 kids ranging from 5 to 13).

Kids feel "at home" when they are at home. They wouldn't hesitate to type
i.e sex.com
or do anything else on *their* browser! Most
employers (especially those morons that don't
know what they do) would hesitate, for many obvious reasons that don't need
be mentioned here.

..I am not disregarding or commenting on Dansguardian here, which i
haven't personally used.

Spiros

--
Spiros P.