Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:19:04 -0000
From:      "Jonathan Belson" <jon@witchspace.com>
To:        "Pete French" <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Curious crash

Hiya

> Has anybidy else seeen a BSD machine crash in such a way thart
> the screen fills with vertical black and white stripes ? The machine
> in question has nobody logged into it and is not running X, it is
> being used as a gateway to a PPP connection though.

Yeah, I've had that happening on my server (PPro 200MHz overclocked
to 240MHz).

I *think* it started happening after I added an HPT  hard drive
controller card but I'm not sure, it was a while ago.

The problem hasn't occurred for a long while, in fact I'd forgotten
all about it until I read your post (I didn't report it since my
machine is overclocked).

> Normally I would put this down to flaky hardware and not bother
> mentioning it here. But I have had this problem for a year
> and a half now - and the crashes still occur *despite* having
> replaced the whole machine. I have also moved house, so its
> not the mains supply to the building (which was my other suspect). These
> crashes were originally seen on a 3.3 system, and I am now
> running 4.4 STABLE.

With me it was under -RELEASE of some vintage.

--Jon

http://www.witchspace.com