Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:29:03 +0500
From:      sai <sonicsai@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   malformed / oversized frame leads to loss of connectivity

(previously posted on freebsd-questions, but with no resolution)

I get this error quite frequently  on my pf firewall running 6.2 and
it leads to loss of internet access.

kernel: vr0: discard oversize frame (ether type 710a flags 3 len 1532
> max 1514)

vr0 is connected to my ISPs cable modem, ip address is provided by
DHCP. Whenever I get this oversized (or maybe malformed) packet I need
to reboot my machine to get back online, though sometimes just
resetting (down,  then up) the ethernet port works also.

I get the same problem with rl network cards (previously reported by
Jeremy Tay: "misc/63190: Realtek driver halts on oversized frame" ,
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE ,
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-February/005534.html
)

Reports with other ethernet cards: