Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:19:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        swhite@gov.za
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI bus... or why I don't like Acer

Sean White writes:
 > Hiya, all!
 >
 > I've downloaded the 2.1.5-R boot floppy and briefly checked the Acer
 > machine that gave me so many problems before with 2.1.0-R ... Hi Stefan!
 >
 > The problem detecting the PCI bus is still there. Now, I'm quite happy that
 > it's not FreeBSD's fault at all, more the rather strange PCI setup in this
 > particular machine. My fix for 2.1.0-R was to compile a custom kernel which
 > reversed the PCI config mode probes (mode 2 before mode 1) and this has
 > proven to work quite successfully. I've also tested the modified kernel on
 > a couple of other machines including IBM and Unisys with no problems
 > either. Compaq Prolinea model 590 machines are still a problem but I
 > couldn't be bothered with those things anyway. Don't have one, don't want
 > one.

Hmmm, they should work, too ...

If anybody has problems with the PCI probe of an
unpatched 2.1.5 kernel on his system, please let
me know and send verbose boot messages!

 > My question is, would anything be broken or disadvantaged if this change
 > was incorporated into the FreeBSD release, obviously in a later version?
 > Would the "team" be prepared to consider such a change? I'll happily post a
 > diff for pcibus.c here if anyone is interested.

Well, there are several problems with reversing
the order of the probes. Did you test the boot
floppy from the latest 2.2-SNAP on those machines ?
(No need to do an actuall install, just test whether
the boot floppy PCI probe is successful ...)

The PCI probe in 2.2 is quite different from that
in 2.1 and 2.1.5.

It might be possible to select a mode from the boot
config menu in a later version. But this is getting
less important, since all currently sold systems
use config mechanism 1 only.

 > My thanks again go to Stefan Esser for the help given in getting 2.1.0-R to
 > run on this machine.

Well, my thanks go to those people (including you :)
who actually give some feedback ...

Regards, STefan