Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:45:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Zoltan Sebestyen <sebesty@cs.elte.hu>
Subject:   Re: egcs on FreeBSD

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Zoltan Sebestyen wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'd like to know if anyone tried to compile/use ecgs (a gcc derived
> compiler by Cygnus) on FreeBSD or if there's a FreeBSD of egcs.

Yup, I have.  It's kinda broken as far as I can tell.  The stock egcs
(~December 12th snapshot) compiled out of the box, and with a little
tweaking can be called with -Vegcs-2.90.20.  This wouldn't compile the
kernel due to a missing symbol, adding the pgcc patches to this, and
recompiling pgcc with the egcs produced a compiler (-Vegcs-2.90.20p) that
could compile the kernel fine, however it didn't add __DYNAMIC to shared
libs, causing ld to bomb out.  This is better than the pgcc port (2.7.2.1
based) and the pgcc-current (marked as broken), but still pretty limited
in functionality.

- alex