Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:12:21 -0500
From:      Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compiling non ports. Libraries etc.

Here's the basics.
cvsup'ed 3.1-Stable system.
Everything I have installed is ported.
No problems whatsoever except...

For several weeks now I have been trying to understand why applications not
located in the ports tree that I try to build refuse to locate libraries I have
installed.  For instance while trying to compile WebMaker for KDE, the
configure complains that it cannot find libraries like kimgio, libpng, libjpeg
etc.  It's driving me absolutely up the wall.  I've searched every mailing list
I could find.  I've searched the gnats databases, I've even tried asking on the
IRC #freebsd channel (Which by the way is NOT a good place to ask questions of
this nature).  Could someone PLEASE give me a clue as to why ./configure
scripts are not finding installed libraries even though they are installed and
are indeed the correct versions.  I never had similar problems in 2.1.6 release
so I can only assume it's a fundamental change in 3.1 that is causing this
confusion.  It does appear to happen with ANY "modern" configure script so
maybe this confusion should really be resolved at the system level.  I have
reported it in gnats as billf suggested I do so in IRC.

I have gone through the whole ldconfig -aout -r etc.  The libraries are there
and are accessible.  Configure scripts just refuse to see them.

ANY advice would be appreciated!

Tony