Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:21:50 -0400
From:      "Dunn, George Jr" <dunng@uncw.edu>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   networking perplexity

Hi,

I am running Freebsd 9 with all current updates and am having some serious =
issues with the networking/routing stack.

I have a machine that has 2 - 10gb interfaces and 2 - 1gb interfaces that I=
 wish to configure.
The desired effect is to have all interfaces except one of the 1Gb ports to=
 be broadcast only private address spaces for running nfs.
I have one public fully routable address.
Trying to configure the interfaces with rc.conf I am able to get the 10gb i=
nterfaces and the public working.
However when I add in the third private address on the other 1 gb interface=
 the whole stack seems to freak. It will completely hang the boot usually r=
equiring a hard power off and single user mode to fsck to reboot.

I tried to work around by placing a script in the new rc.local place to bri=
ng up the last interface and fix the routing table. It will boot then but s=
hortly after (15-45 mins) I lose all connectivity again. I have tried diffe=
rent ports on the box as well as several different switches with the same r=
esult so I don't think it's a hardware issue per se.

I really just need some input! Any takers?

Thanks in advance!

Eddie