Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:34:51 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI/Tape problem?

> > I have tried just about every termination I can think to try. Different
> > cables, different controller (still a 2940) and a different
> > tape drive. It still doesn't work. So something is wrong. Options
> > anyone?
>
> What else do you have connected to the string?  If there's something
> else, and you obviously have access to a second controller, try using
> both controllers, with only the tape connected to the one controller.
>
> If that doesn't work, consider your drive options.  This was an
> Exabyte 8505, wasn't it?  Exabytes used to have millions of drive
> options, so much that hardly two drives were the same.  Maybe the
> drive does something that the driver doesn't understand.

Ditto. There is an Exabyte firmware version for most every company that
has ever purchased an Exabyte tape drive in modest volume. Think the
drive in question was an 8205XL? It *might* have flash firmware. If so,
the Exabyte home page has downloadable firmware. Problem is you have to
upgrade your drive from DOS or Windows.

Upgrading Exabyte firmware has solved several problems for me in the
past with SGI workstations.

Have had such a hassle last month with TTi packaged Exabytes that I dug
up a P-90, an ISA ethernet card, 2940A, and put the tape drive on that.
Combinded with NIS and NFS, those SGI users are quite happy with the
solution. Meanwhile, am still working with TTi to get a solution which
allows their Exabytes to connect directly to SGI's.