Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:40:17 -0800
From:      "Robert Faulds" <frf@energyinteractive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Src code for @Home  NIC Card for Slaming into UNIX - Re: (Form  posted from Mozilla  (KMM25773C0KM))

TCI's tech gave me a 3C900B. No problems.

Tci uses DHCP, but it uses a unique hostname (installing their software
changed my hostname to something like B9182734-B) to get a preassigned
IP address. This address was printed, along with default route, on the
top of the work order. One thing that was missing were name servers.

The biggest "suprise" was when running FreeBSD, I was getting close to
2Mbs downstream, and 512Kbs upstream. When I booted NT, It was pretty
close to 512Kbs both directions. At first I laughed and blamed it on
Windoze, but upon closer inspection I found that installing the @home
software set a bunch of NT registry setting to limit my bandwidth.
Client-side throttling.
I reinstalled windows (like I do every week), didn't install their
software, and 'bingo' 1.5Mbs downstream.
Of course, now I do not have access to an @home email address, but heh,
like I don't have enough already. I still use thier http cache although
it took a little work to find.

Basically, I am very happy with the service, but beware.

--
frf@energyinteractive.com