Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:57:38 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One drive much slower than another

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't your Bigfoot have a couple years
advantage over the WD?  RPMs are fine but there are lots of other things
that affect disk performance which often get overlooked.  The Bigfoot
probably has much higher areal and track density than the old Caviar.

For example, IBM's IDE Deskstar drives have gone through several
"generations", including:

??
DHEA
DTTA
DJNA
DPTA

with the last three all being available in both 5400 and 7200RPM versions.
Sequention I/O performance varies *greatly* between different ends of the
scale.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com