Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:23:11 -0400
From:      Carl Chave <carl@chave.us>
To:        mark rowlands <rowlands.mark@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network sort of stops working with the em (intel) driver under  load.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM, mark rowlands <rowlands.mark@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> Newly built and cvsupped system,with GENERIC kernel, =A0when copying
> large amounts of data over a gigabit link via scp =A0the network =A0will
> hang after a couple of gig. =A0I can then no longer login via ssh. If I
> leave it be, after about 12-24 hours I can then login again. (A reboot
> of course fixes the issue immediately...) .

I've had this behavior also with Intel Pro 1000 cards using the em
driver.  I picked up a lot of 4 of them off ebay and never figured out
if it was a driver problem or faulty hardware.  I went back to FreeNAS
on that same box (7.2-RELEASE-p4) and it seems ok except my Netgear
gigabit switch also died so I'm currently plugged into a 100Mbps
switch.