Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:22:15 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Andy Wodfer <wodfer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /tmp filesystem full

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:12:25 +0200, Andy Wodfer wrote:
> How can I find which directories break the MAXPATHLEN variable?

It's easy to do this with find and awk:

	% find / -type d | awk 'length > LIMIT'

where LIMIT is the numerical value you want to be exceeded (in
your case, MAXPATHLEN). You can add "> /tmp/longpaths.txt" to
obtain a list file for further reference.

> or can I somehow run the periodic script in verbose mode to see the output?

You could manually run it. Note that it's output is tailored
to "generate mail messages" about success or failure which is
then mailed to the system administrator.

See /etc/defaults/periodic.conf for various *_verbose variables
to make the scripts themselves be more verbose. But I only can
see those:

daily_clean_tmps_verbose="YES"                          # Mention files deleted
daily_clean_preserve_verbose="YES"                      # Mention files deleted
daily_clean_rwho_verbose="YES"                          # Mention files deleted

You could however (temporarily) add your own debugging statements
to the script in question.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany