Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:26:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        john@ustrap.com (John Chrobak)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the berkeley packet filter

John Chrobak wrote,
> To anyone that can help me out,
> I am working with freebsd release 2.2.8 .  I have most everything set up
> the way I want it, except any apps requiring the bpf0.  It is included
> in the GENERIC kernel make list file, defined as:
> PSEUDO DEVICE	bpfilter	4  #Berkeley packet filter
> and it is in the /dev directory but when I try to run ntop or trafshow I
> get an error message telling me that the bpf0 is not configured.  What
> am I doing wrong or am I missing something.

I'm trying to understand this. Are you saying that you added bpfilter
to the GENERIC kernel, because I'm pretty sure it is not there by
default. Second, the line should be,

pseudo-device bpfilter       4 # Berkeley Packet Filter

Not 'PSEUDO DEVICE.' Did you rebuild the kernel after making the
change?

Here is what I suggest you do,

# cd /sys/i386/conf
# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL

(using your prefered editor, add the 'bpfilter' line above to the
kernel config.)

# config MYKERNEL
# cd ../../conf/MYKERNEL
# make depend
# make
# make install

Of course, feel free to subsitute something else for 'MYKERNEL' like
your hostname (by tradition, a kernel name is usually all caps
though), and watch that each step of the process does not generate
errors.

After the new kernel is built and installed, you will need to
restart. The bpf devices should then work.

HTH.