Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:01:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Heinz Suez <malagana15@yahoo.es>
To:        Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SiI 3112 time out problems and suggestions for a good sata controller.

Yes, you should worry about data corruption. Because, Have you noticed that these errors occurs at reading only? cause the writing speed is acceptable for the controller but data reading is done more frecuently. Most files are already stored in the hdd so you should worry about non saved files and work.

Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net> escribió:  My plans are to get a new one. Unfurnately can't sell it, because it
is built onto the board. I am currently working on picking a good
one. Don't need RAID though, I plan to implement that using GEOM
later on.

Any opinions on if I should worry about corruption with those
occasional messages till then?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 06:01:38 +0100 (CET)
Heinz Suez wrote:

> Hi. I had the same problem a month ago with the same controller.
> The problem was that i bought this pci sata controller with the
> sil3112 for an old computer (dual p3 550, 512mb ram pc133, pci
> 2.1), so the transfer rate & buffer was higher than the mother
> board was able to deliver...in other words, the sata controller
> (the sil3121 chipset i mean) was not 100% backwards compatible with
> pci 2.1 when it should be. I tried this controller with a brand new
> computer and worked just fine with lots of hdd's. Now, you have 2
> solutions: Sell the controller if it's a pci card or buy a more
> expensive card with a different chipset. There're a lot of sata
> chipsets that support pci 2.1 or older computers, i have seen lots
> of users running sata raid at full speed on p2 machines. Good luck.
> Vulpes Velox escribió: I am getting entries
> like this in dmesg. ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries
> left) LBA=355277839 ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries
> left) LBA=358666287
>
> smartctl -t long /dev/ad10 shows it to be good though. The results
> from the times I have run it show it completing successfully every
> time. I believe I have no reason to suspect a bad disk and it just a
> crappy chip. From what I have read in the mailing list archives, I
> believe this to be true. Any one have any opinions otherwise on this
> or the like?
>

> The machine this is running on has releng_5 on it.
>
> I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on a good for a good
> sata pci card that preferably has 4 connectors on it.
>

> SiI 3112 sysctl entry if any one is curious.
> dev.atapci.1.%desc: SiI 3112 SATA150 controller
> dev.atapci.1.%driver: atapci
> dev.atapci.1.%location: slot=11 function=0
> dev.atapci.1.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x1095 device=0x3112 subvendor=0x1095
> subdevice=0x6112 class=0x010400 dev.atapci.1.%parent: pci1

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
Llamadas a fijos y moviles desde 1 centimo por minuto.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com