Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:00:37 +0500
From:      "Igor Shulgin" <igorsh@garural.chel.su>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   οΤΧΕΤ: Running old program on 3.0-RELEASE

>> I recently installed 3.0-RELEASE on existing 2.1.0-RELEASE.
>> After that one program does not run any more.
>
>You probably did not update the contents of /etc, as one must by hand.
>This would not create the a.out search paths properly and leads to this
>exact error.

By the way, file /etc/rc.conf did not exist in 2.1.0-RELEASE and was
completely (I think) maden during installation.

Was it more practical for me to remove old /etc (/usr/lib , other dirs)
before upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0?
Should I do it in future?

Does installation on existing system use (or consider) old configuration by
whatever manner?
I mean more close subsequence of versions than extreme case of 2.1->3.0 .

There were 2 lines in my file /etc/rc.conf :
ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"
ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
/usr/local/lib/aout"

After several advices in maillist freebsd-current I _move_ /usr/lib/compat to
ldconfig_paths_aout . Not copy because there are no ELF-files in my
/usr/lib/compat .
Is it OK?

Sorry for importunity.

--- With good wishes,