Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:07:32 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

At first glance, you can't do what you want with only a /29.
Every "link" requires a /30, because the first and last addresses
cannot be assigned to interfaces.  Also, I rather doubt that you
can get an Ethernet to work as a point-to-point link because the
driver needs to arp.  (Yes of course the crossover cables work -
that's not the point.)

One thing you might try is to replace the DSL router with a mere
DSL modem, or, if possible, put the DSL router into bridge mode.
That way, the firewall can use the external address that was
assigned to the DSL router (which is in some other netblock than
your /29) as its external address, and then a hub or switch on
the internal side will connect all your other boxes.  I run my
DSL /29 this way.

The only other choice is to run the firewall as a bridge.

This is not a matter of documentation - what you're asking route
to do cannot be done.

Barney Wolff