Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:47:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Misiak <rob@madonna.ic.net>
To:        Timothy.Butkiewicz@wmich.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few questions

-=WireHead=- ("A few questions") wrote:

> 1) Using user PPP how do i pull out the dynamically assigned IP address
> to save it in a file.
> I connect on a fairly regular basis, about once a day. And would like to
> yank my assigned IP address each time and save it to a file.

After the connection is made, you can get the IP address from "ifconfig ppp0".
Maybe pipe that to sed or awk. When I had a PPP connection like yours, I
would get the IP address this way, nslookup it, and set the hostname this way
in /etc/ppp/ip-up.

> 2) While trying to compile some bsd(i?) based software i ran into some
> problems with crypt. It is giving me some undefined errors relating to
> "_crypt" Does freebsd handle a different methodology. I have DES in
> action on this system.

Try adding -lcrypt.

> 3) and last. Is there a way to set up my machine to only deliver mail to
> this machine. It is a solo system, only way out is through a PPP
> connection and i would like to turn off internet mail processing so that
> the users on this system can only send mail within and not get it routed
> through the PPP link.

Then just send mail to the username.. don't include the full address.

Rob