Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:10:23 -0400
From:      Richard Yao <ryao@cs.stonybrook.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: AMD Erratum 383 crashes FreeBSD 9-Stable

--------------enig011F0C707B4C007B5BD89A2C

On 03/17/12 13:08, Richard Yao wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD Developers:
>=20
> I used the ZFS Guru LiveCD to install FreeBSD 9 in KVM on a host system=

> with an AMD Thuban processor (K10h). I then proceeded to compile perl
> and the VM crashed. Linux's dmesg gave me the following hint as to the
> cause:
>=20
> [ 3568.234654] KVM: Guest triggered AMD Erratum 383
>=20
> I also tried installing Gentoo Prefix, a userland package manager like
> NetBSD pkgsrc, and the VM also crashed with the same message when
> compiling the first component. AMD has documented this issue, with a
> workaround for hypervisors and a statement saying that they won't fix i=
t:
>=20
> "If system software performs uncommon methods to change the page size o=
> an active page table that is valid, the CPU core may, under a highly
> specific and detailed set of conditions, form duplicate TLB entries for=

> a single linear address. The CPU core will machine check if this page i=
> then accessed prior to it being invalidated from the TLB."
>=20
> http://support.amd.com/us/Embedded_TechDocs/41322.pdf
>=20
> Has anyone done anything to workaround this issue? I have a Gentoo
> Hardened VM running on this machine which has no problem compiling
> software, so I am sure that some sort of page table workaround is possi=
ble.
>=20
> Yours truly,
> Richard Yao
>=20

I was tired when I wrote that, so my eyes seem to have skipped some
advice from AMD on how to workaround this in the kernel:

"Affected software must ensure that page sizes are only increased or
decreased after the entry is invalidated and flushed out of all TLBs.
When flushing multiple entries from the TLB, software may wish to use a
single MOV CR3 value to invalidate the TLB instead of repetitive INVLPG
instructions"

Also, I am not on the mailing list, so please CC replies to me.